Shake up in enterprise telephony

After a slow start to the year in EMEA, shipments of enterprise telephones and associated line equipment grew by 3.6% in the second quarter of 2005 to 5.05 million ‘lines', up from 4.88 million in the corresponding period a year ago.

The analysis, from industry research group Canalys, shows a reshuffling of the supplier hierarchy, with Alcatel overtaking Siemens for the first time. Alcatel increased its share of the market from 16.0% to 16.4%, while Siemens' slice fell by 1.5% to 15.9%. Siemens was the only one of the top six whose shipments dropped in the quarter, showing a 5.4% decline.

Alcatel has had particular success in the 100-plus line market, especially in Germany, the UK, Spain, the Middle East and Africa. Its shipments increased by 5.9% on last year despite declining investment in communications infrastructure in France, its biggest market.

In a consolidating market, the top eight vendors now account for nearly 80% of all shipments. Over 30 companies fight for the remaining 20%, with many likely to become acquisition targets in coming years. The acquisition of DeTeWe, with its focus on small and medium businesses, by number six vendor Aastra, highlights this.

Avatar photo

Ben Rossi

Ben was Vitesse Media's editorial director, leading content creation and editorial strategy across all Vitesse products, including its market-leading B2B and consumer magazines, websites, research and...

Related Topics