Juniper Networks, the secure, AI-driven networks provider, has today announced the first phase of Telefónica UK’s successful services migration to the Telefónica UK Fusión Network, a new infrastructure for which Juniper Networks is the strategic IP network provider.
Juniper Networks and Telefónica UK designed the Fusión Network to transform the customer experience for mobile, residential and business services globally — the project expands into the UK to support digital transformation efforts with new feature-rich mobile services.
This initiative has previously been implemented by the Telefónica Group in other regions around the world and has evolved over the years, including a recent upgrade in Spain to support the evolution to 5G. This project with Telefónica UK combines legacy networks into a single, new IP network that is more efficient, flexible and automated, paving the way for the rollout of Telefónica UK’s 5G services.
The agile network will power digital transformation through businesses
Brendan O’Reilly, chief technology officer at Telefónica UK, commented: “As we prepare for our 5G rollout from October 2019 with the end goal of building a 5G economy in coalition with British industry, we need a network infrastructure that benefits customers from the outset, with better speeds, intelligent security and improved user experience. This requires a network that is sophisticated, but also simpler to deploy, operate and maintain, which is why we chose Juniper as our strategic IP network provider. This overhaul of our network provides the flexibility, scalability and performance to meet those demands.”
To accomplish the evolution of its Fusión Network, Telefónica UK is investing in a range of Juniper solutions, comprised of:
• Juniper Networks® PTX Series Packet Transport Routers (PTX10008), MX Series 5G Universal Routing Platform (MX2008, MX2010 and MX2020).
• Junos Fusion Edge, Junos Node Slicing virtualization and Juniper’s Automation Framework.
• Professional Services from Juniper Networks to support the migration of the existing networks, as well as installation and maintenance.
This deployment is expected to provide a host of benefits to Telefónica UK, focused on:
• Reducing complexity of the network, delivering increased flexibility and efficiency in the management of the infrastructure and the creation of new services.
• Simplified operations and more agile service delivery, enabling the company to provide shorter time-to-market for new services, such as IoT, to customers.
• Enhanced security to meet growing user expectations on network uptime and a widening threat landscape, including providing enhanced visibility to ensure regulatory compliance and customer data protection.
On the two companies’ partnership, Manoj Leelanivas — chief product officer at Juniper Networks — said:
“As one of the major service providers in the UK, Telefónica UK is a true trailblazer of cutting-edge network technology. Juniper has a long and proud history of working with Telefónica globally, and being chosen as Telefónica’s strategic IP network provider in the UK to deliver a 5G-ready network reflects the depth of that partnership.
“This project is expected to help Telefónica UK transform its network, providing an automated and scalable network that is capable of meeting current and future demands of consumers and business customers alike. It will help to ensure that Telefónica UK will continue to deliver the robust performance its users expect and be sufficiently agile to lead the way on new service innovation.”