With NTT Ltd. currently operating a data centre platform across 160 data centres in over 20 countries, its global data centres division is planning to launch further capability in seven locations by the end of 2020, with further centres set to be established in 2021.
While meeting growing demand, NTT has also committed to following sustainable best practices where possible while expanding its platform worldwide.
“Organisations today demand an ever-expanding global platform to reach their growing digital business objectives,” said Masaaki Moribayashi, senior executive vice-president, services for NTT Ltd. “That’s why we continue to expand our portfolio of the best data centres in new and existing markets that complement our global geographic footprint.”
The importance of data storytelling in the next decade of data
Plans for platform expansion for the rest of 2020 consist of the following locations and timeframes:
- Mumbai, India: The NTT Mumbai 7 Data Centre, the third centre to be based on its Chandivali campus, will go live in Q3 2020, and will help to contribute 61 MW of IT load.
- London, UK: NTT’s new London 1 Data Centre is scheduled to open in Q3 2020. Based close to the UK’s Internet hub in the Docklands, the facility will interconnect with five other existing London-based data centres to deliver over 100 MW of IT load once completed.
- Tokyo, Japan: A new data centre in Tokyo is planned to be operational in Q3 2020, for NTT’s data centre coverage in Japan.
- Hillsboro, Oregon, USA: A space is being pre-leased at NTT’s first data centre campus in Hillsboro, with the first 6 MW centre planned to come online in Q3 2020, and four more planned for the campus in the future.
- Ashburn, Virginia, USA: In NTT’s largest data centre market, Ashburn, a fifth data centre is being constructed. Set to offer 32 MW, with 8 MW ready in Q3 2020, the completion of this centre is expected to bring Ashburn’s total footprint to 108 MW.
- Munich, Germany: NTT has completed the shell of its second building within the Munich 2 data centre. Planned for completion in Q4 2020, the building is expected to contribute 14 MW.
- Cyberjaya, Malaysia: NTT’s new Cyberjaya 5 Data Centre, expected to contribute 5.6 MW of critical IT load and designed to meet demand from hyperscalers and high-end companies, is planned to come online in Q4 2020.
In addition, further data centres are in progress in Chicago, Illinois, USA and Jakarta, Indonesia, both of which are planned for completion in the first half of 2021.
Ryuichi Matsuo, executive vice-president for NTT Ltd.’s Global Data Centres Division, commented: “We are pleased to leverage our deep construction expertise and the strength of our capital resources to extend our line of data centre facilities – with more to come.
“By increasing our global footprint during this pandemic, we can support our clients as their demand increases for reliable, robust cloud services, cloud communications, digital entertainment, and new technology such as artificial intelligence.”